When it comes to roadway construction, compaction is one of the most important processes. It’s important in order to achieve high quality and uniformity of pavement materials. And focusing the right resources and effort on getting that high quality and uniformity ensures long-lasting performance in the long run. This can be done through intelligent compaction technology.
Intelligent Compaction 101
Intelligent compaction (IC) uses modern vibratory rollers equipped with an integrated measurement system, an onboard computer reporting system, GPS based mapping, and other optional feedback. This technology facilitates real-time compaction monitoring so that compaction of road materials like soil, aggregate bases, or asphalt pavement materials can be completely compacted.
5 Benefits of Using Intelligent Compaction
If you want to make every pass count when you’re working on your compacting project. Intelligent compaction technology allows you to do just that. Some of the key benefits include:
- Reduced Variability: In order to ensure adequate support, ability, and strength, pavement needs to be compacted to optimum densities. IC improves the in-depth density of pavement materials, reducing variability of measured density. This ultimately allows for long-lasting roadways.
- Improved Productivity and Depth: Since intelligent compaction systems are designed to operate at the best effort possible, compaction is much more efficient. This means fewer roller passes and better results. IC also stands above conventional rollers by using technology designed to optimize rollers’ compact effort, allowing for improved depth performance, too.
- Reduced Cost of Repairs: Did you know that poor compaction is one of the biggest factors in premature pavement failure? Poor compaction practices also significantly raise highway repair costs. By using intelligent compaction technology, contractors minimize repairs and improve overall pavement performance, making the investment last longer in the long run.
- Smart Stiffness Measurement: To get the most effective compaction possible, IC measures stiffness during the compaction process. This means contractors have instant identification of weak areas and can avoid harmful over-compaction and other errors.
- Real-Time Identification: Individuals can easily use IC to identify weak spots or defective projects. With this identification and real-time information, users have the opportunity to make quick decisions during the compaction process, and informed choices for next steps.
Intelligent Compaction Made Easy
A good compacting job isn’t as easy to achieve as some people think. But with the correct equipment and technology, you can implement your own IC system in no time. At RDO Integrated Controls, our Topcon compaction and tracking system provides real-time pass graphic visibility so you have increased quality and efficiency, pass registration and visualization, and combine compaction and the site production data you need.
Ready to increase your productivity for your road construction project? Check out more information on Topcon compaction and tracking system products.